We are pretty solidly into February now, aren't we?
The last five days feel like two long and grueling weeks. My head is still spinning. I think somewhere deep down I'm really freaked out about all of the stress and everything that can/could have gone wrong, but its very deeply buried by how incredibly busy I've been.
Still, despite the setbacks, I've accomplished a lot!
I have somewhere to sleep
I have things to eat
I know where/when my classes are
I know the route to the shopping mall
I know the route home
I have casual friends
Seeing them all listed out looks rather menial... but each and every one of those was a trial and a victory.
The study abroad program was FULL of scheduling snafoos, misinformation, and ol' fashioned hassle. I arrived at my 'first' Narrative Illustration class to find that the course had been running for 4 weeks already. What I thought was the first class was actually the critique for their finished first project, a small handmade animated flip book. My blood pressure rose and I began to worry, but the teacher was very forgiving of the school's error. Jay (the other exchange student who is in the class with me) and I were told that it was a fixable problem and we could easily continue in the class. Still, I was *very* intimidated by the other students, who all knew each other and mostly kept amongst themselves. Our next task is going to be over the next six weeks: drawing a graphic novel. The specifics are very vague, but the theme is assigned. We drew small slips of paper out of a hat, and mine is "Scrabble, invented by Alfred Butts." I've been talking with Zach about an idea I'd had, and I'm really excited with what we came up with. When i get some progress sketches scanned, I'll put them up here! As for the flip book project we'd missed, I think I'm going to make it up, even though we were told it was an option deal. I've got an idea for that I am anxious to get started on as well...
This morning I had my first life drawing class! The teacher is very genial, and I feel like I have a lot to learn. His comments are SO useful, and the human form is such a challenge. Practice, HO.
I haven't had a block of Glass/Kiln or Environmental Analysis yet, but I anxiously await Monday and next Thursday, respectively.
There is a lot of walking to do around here... 80% of the girls are "high fashion" by my standards, and wear heeled boots and lots of makeup. In my Illustration class, the girls are reminiscent of the glam-rock-Bowie era. Glitter, pearls and electric-pink blush.
But.
The best part about England?
The quid sign is much more fun to draw than the dollar sign. It makes keeping track of my spending fun.
Pictures in the next post! Promise. A trip to York on Saturday!
6 comments:
While you're in York you should definitely wander down The Shambles (http://www.insideyork.co.uk/shambles), and Goji's worth going to (http://www.gojicafe.co.uk/)
ELISE! I be missing you! I'm glad that you made it safely and you're still in one piece. I can see why you're anxious to get a routine down but it seems like you're well on your way! I'm glad to see that MC Snake got to trael to England as well...how about Long Dog? I wouldn't want either of them to be left out! Your floor lamp is serving us well and Mr. Cactus is also doing well (although he did lose an arm....no worries, it was a super tiny one!) He's made good friends with my other plants.
Stay relaxed, go exploring, and I can't wait to see pics!!
Aaa!!! Sounds like you're off to an AMAZING start!! Can't wait for pictures!
Hey, I'm taking life drawing this semester, too! All the models are people I know/recognize, which is a little awkward. Still, it's fantastic practice.
Btw, your blog logo is SO cute. Makes me want to create my own headers for my blogs!
Your blog is very fun to read! Keep it up!
Just dawned on me what life drawing is all about. Dick from next door is a model for that class somewhere here.
Love your blog. You are a great story teller! Can't wait for more installments.
You have indeed had a hard week +. May the next ones be easier and funner.
Post a Comment