I am giddy.
There's no way around it- I was really excited for this activity. From ordering these seeds to researching sowing techniques, I couldn't help but jump for joy when it finally came time to plant them. It will take about 2 years for them to get big enough to flower, but waiting is a small feat compared to the preparation.
Mesembs are weird little plants. They embody everything I love about succulents-- namely: interesting adaptations to harsh climates and plump juicy cuteness. And they come in a large variety of shapes, sizes and colors.
I've got a baby Tiger's Jaws back in California, lovingly tended to by my pops; I find myself wanting more... so here we are! Back to the seeds.
And here they are!
(click the image for a closer look)
So this Sunday Zach and I put on a few NOVA specials, and I got to work.
Steps to Sow:
(1) Layer the pot (Good drainage holes, and start with gravel or styrofoam peanuts as a drainage base!) as follows:
(1) Half-inch layer of sand (...To prevent the tiny seeds from being washed too far under by waterings.)
(2) Shallow soil/sand mixture
(3) Sand/QuartziteGravel/LoamySoil/Turface/Vemiculite(or Perlite) (In descending concentrations)
(2) Mist soil thoroughly with distilled water. I added some dilute 2-7-7 fertilizer to this misting)
(3) Sprinkle the seeds on the surface, and then cover them with a light layer of medium grained sand or gravel. You want 2-5 mm bits. This layer will help the seeds have some support as they grow taller, but it shouldn't be so thick as to block out germination-inducing light.
(3) Cover with saran wrap and rubber bands for the first 1-2 weeks; you want to keep the atmosphere humid for the germination period.
(4) Set in a bright, warm window. Bright but not direct sunlight! I use an indoor lighting rig with some material taped up to filter the light a bit.
(5) Obsessively loom over them at all times. Keep them moist! But don't water them so much that the seeds get washed away!
Dinteranthus wilmotianus
Fenestraria rhopalophylla
Lithops (mix)
Lithops aucampiae
Lithops aucampiae
Argyroderma (mix)
Conophytum angelicae
Conophytum subfenestratum Knersvlakte
...that list of Latin names doesn't mean much now, but I'll post pictures as they (hopefully) grow. I'm sure we'll all get a sense of what these guys are like as adult plants soon enough.
A thing that frustrated me:
My planting methods source recommended using granite gravel to LOWER the pH os the soil, and recommended using granite gravel. Other resources I found online said that granite RAISES pH. Not sure what to make of this. I'm going to try a quick and dirty home chemistry pH test next week, I'll include those results with the next seed update!








No comments:
Post a Comment