But, you see, having your best friend of 8 years live a train-ride away from you means that that routine can easily be broken at a moment's notice. The Thursday-afternoon-to-Monday-afternoon weekend that my schedule provides gives me 5 days of freedom at a time. And visiting Holly at her University up in Scotland leaves nothing lacking from an ideal weekend trip.
A half-hour metro ride from Sunderland, a three hour train from Newcastle, and a 20 minute bus ride from Leuchars left me at the St. Andrew's bus station, where Holly's boyfriend Rasim was waiting with a welcoming smile. He walked me to where Holly works, the Byre Theater, and the three of us sat down and enjoyed the crowded Thursday night live jazz while swapping joyous reunion jokes and stories. I only got a single sip of the most flavorful cider I've ever had. Pear and …I can't recall what, but it was some flower- but I've promised myself I will go back for more the next time I'm visiting there. As fantastic as the multiple saxophone and piano players were, I was happy to finally walk to Holly's flat and collapse. She and her friend Kathy had combined their two beds, so the three of us snuggled in for a warm night.
Near Holly's flat:

The ever-adorable-Holly:

Being a normal student here, Holly has a full classload. Her Friday began with a Geoscience lecture- which meant mine began with a relaxing morning in Taste, a local cafe. I took the time to try freehand ink city-scape sketching, something I'd always wanted to do since seeing this guy's stuff. Here are my first two attempts of the view from Taste's front window.


Saint Andrews is a small town with a huge university and an even bigger helping of history. Holly took me round to see the town castle, some of the many beaches(West Sands only a stone's throw from her flat), some good shopping(the *local* cheesemonger and greengrocer were particularly inspiring), and the academic campus(folklore included!). I'm sorry i didn't take more pictures, but I will be traveling back soon and often, I hope. We spent the night at a pub doodling and chatting until we walked home through the chilly night along a HUGE old stone wall.
The beach:

Not to be left wanting by the world's best host, the next night was a ceilidh! (spelling has since been corrected...) A more causal version of Scottish Country Dancing! Holly lent me the best floral dress I've ever had the pleasure of wearing, and we spent the whole evening dancing. A wide range of skill level, ages and nationalities were all enthusiastically out on the dance floor learning, teaching and overall just making the floor shake with dancing- lots of spinning and stomping. I learned the steps to two kinds of "Strip the Willow" and two other dances with Holly as my patient leader (her friend Jo stepped in to show me the ropes as well), and by the end of the night, I was completely tuckered out. I have never clapped, stomped and linked arms and madly spun in circles with so many people in one night- everyone was smiling and raucously awesome. We briefly stopped by a bonfire at the beach on the way home, but didn't linger longer than necessary to appreciate the delicious smell of woodsmoke. Flouncing around the dancefloor all night leaves one warm and amicable against the cold late-night walk home.
I was lucky I had Sunday to recover, although I would hardly call an all-day madhouse in the kitchen a lazy day. We spent the whole day cooking a dinner for Holly's 'academic children' who were coming round for the evening. Through sheer team-willpower alone, Holly, Rasim, Kathy and I produced a three course meal for six! Herby potato wedges, the SWEETEST zucchini/tomato/onion dish I have ever tasted, and a decadent two layer chocolate cake. As most people would expect from me, I had the most to do with the construction of the chocolate cake.
But while touching on my traditional love of sweets and glossing over the unexpected turn from my usual scorn for veggies, this would be an excellent time to comment on the vegetarian habits of Flat 10. Five years ago I never would have imagined that I would find veggies so delicious, but for the five days I spent with Holly, we ate nothing but. And I have never felt so satisfied. I'm going to cut down on my meat consumption, if only because it makes me feel like a responsible citizen and its not so bad after all. Mmm... sweet potatoes...
But enough about my happy journey towards complete hippy-ization!
Back to the fact that I am a strange chemist in a less-strange land.
The weekend was rounded out by a response from an internship in Chicago for the summer. And a positive response, at that! I'm holding out until I find out about the remaining two internships before I commit to anything. It is nice to know I'll have at least one paid option for the summer. I am genuinely surprised that this are working out this well. I might graduate on time after all!
This train ride back through the Scottish countryside was a hell of a way to start a Monday, and now I'm back in Sunderland just in time for another week of classes.
Train ride home:
2 comments:
Oh I'm so jealous you got to see Holly!! I'm so glad though that you had a wonderful time!!
Sounds like a great weekend! Your comment about the terrifying grocery trips reminds me of my first weeks in grad school in upstate NY - made me giggle
Post a Comment